StatCounter

Thursday, September 30, 2010

When Too Wrong Makes a Write.

Okay, you guys. New favorite website. I'm mean, it's been trumping Facebook and Merriam Webster Online for about twenty minutes. And it's 2:15am. Clearly, something is wrong. Either that, or something is all too right.

http://watchout4snakes.com/CreativityTools/RandomSentence/RandomSentence.aspx

Yup. Exactly what it looks like. I just spent a full minute puzzling over this one:

"The likelihood freezes next to our horrible image."

Quick exposition break: I'm at the library, finishing my second cup of almost-free coffee. (See, they say, "What a great deal! With your unlimited meal plan, we'll let you swap a meal per day for something that isn't cafeteria food!" So you feel all awesome when you swipe your card and walk away with Pop-tarts and yogurt. Except...oh, yeah, I could buy a year's worth of Pop-tarts and yogurt with the money I spend on a semester of meal plans. So thanks for nothing, persons of authority.) See, I describe this feeling as being so tired that I feel like I'll never have to sleep again. You know that feeling? Yeah, you do. Or you will, young grasshoppers. You will. Anyway, I finished my Spanish homework around one and figured I might as well grab a bagel and coffee and do my math homework for next week. Except I forgot that I'm in Algebra, so...well, let me explain this mathematically. Since I'm in a math mood. (Not.)

Time required to complete Algebra homework
< Time required for effects of artificial caffeine to wear off.

Which = time to blog, silly, why did you grab a second cup of coffee? You're gonna be up until 4am at this point.

Woo. This is ridiculous. Am I making sense? I'm a little bit high on Club Library right now.

Random sentence time!

The prose discriminates above the male.

Is it just me, or is that a really powerful statement? Prose can mean more than just a lengthy literary composition; it can signify the general language of speech and writing. Discrimination, despite its negative connotations, really just implies distinguishing between one concept/subject/event and another, or just having general discretion. So if we interpret this sentence as saying that language itself creates discretion that extends far beyond gender boundaries, but defines the world in which we live--as the world in which we live simultaneously creates and maintains the meaning behind language--we are essentially defining my 111 Arts and Humanities course, Writing in Transcultural Contexts.

(In case you were wondering: no, "transculturation" does not exist in the established English language. "Transculturation" is, however, the foundation of my major, along with a few hundred other Arts and Humanities students. So that's great.)

Hmm...well, on that note, I'd say it's time to head on back to the humble abode and snatch a few Z's from whoever has them right now. By "Z's" I mean "hours of sleep" and by "whoever has them now" I mean "the clutches of my Sparty's coffee cup." Doggone thing won't tell me the secret to a good night's sleep. Whatever. I don't need its secrets. I have a random sentence generator.

And apparently, that's all I really need.

Good morning.

2 comments:

  1. PSST! Not to "rat you out" or anything, but you said, "my Sparty's coffee cup." It may or may not be revealing to your true identity. Just sayin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. i just re-read the title of this post. and it really did just bloggle my mind. i didnt give it a second though when i first read it last month...and now ive read it at lesat 5 more times to figure out exaclty what was meant. i guess it was simple enough though. now im just wondering these "wrongs" were that produced or inspired this "write"....

    ReplyDelete